Saturday, July 11, 2009

Zen Landscape



Kaihō Yūshō (1533-1615) whose Samurai clan was annihilated during the civil wars, survived as a Buddhist monk, to become a professional painter at the tender age of 60 and win the patronage of the Emperor and highest warlords. (this screen, and several others, comes from the St. Louis Art Museum which is collaborating on the screen exhibition now at the Art Institute)





I would like to sit in on the floor
in front of these screens
for days




but, of course,
my legs
would get very sore.




So it's very kind
of the A.I.C.
to allow
cameras into this special exhibition.

(and once the exhibit comes down in September,
the chances of my ever seeing these pieces again
are about zilch)

























4 Comments:

Anonymous marly said...

Chris,

I have a little crack in my heart after reading my email. And I saw you got one as well.

Perhaps it would be good, given such news, to sit on the floor with you and contemplate the landscape for a long time.

July 13, 2009  
Blogger chris miller said...

How sadly appropriate this post turns out to have been.

My heart goes out to Robert and his family.

July 21, 2009  
Blogger Bill said...

Don't know if you'll "bah humbug" these (photography; post war) or not, Chris, but nonetheless I thought of you when I ran across them.


http://www.argentic.fr/product-4132.html

http://www.cornstalk.com.au/pix/105383.jpg

July 24, 2009  
Blogger chris miller said...

Thanks, Bill - I really enjoyed those links. (but then, I like looking at train wrecks, too ;)

And I'd much rather see photography mimic sculpture, than the other way around!

July 25, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<