Sunday, May 31, 2009

Eloise W. Martin Gallery of European Decorative Arts




Here's a new sign that just went up
in the Art Institute of Chicago galleries
that used to show early 20th C.
European painting and sculpture
(all of which has been moved to the new Modern Wing)


Not really what I was hoping for
to fill that space.




What about all the early 20th C.
European painting and sculpture
that can't be called "modern"?

Why doesn't that
deserve a place in
"an encyclopedic art museum"?


And I'm also wondering
whether any of this furniture
is all that special?

I think I've seen pieces
just as good (or better)
in the sets of period plays
staged in my small, local theatre.








Though, I'm glad
they're showing more wacky ceramics.

Here's the original line-up
for that famous sixties band:
"The Monkees"












So far,
this is the period I like the most

That little writing table
looks like it is just waiting
to go on stage and dance.

(and all these pieces recall the set for that
wonderful film version of "Traviata" --
i.e. this is the perfect furniture
for a courtesan)








though,
I'm not really sure that
would carry away any of this stuff
if I saw it stacked up in alley




or these things, either.

Maybe if they were installed
into a period room,
whose walls are covered with fabric,
I would find it more enticing.

(BTW -- what a perfect place for
the 18th and 17th C. tapestries)





















I just don't think
something like this
should be on display
for longer than a few months.

The A.I.C. gallery of decorative arts
used to be in the basement,
and actually,
they had several sculptures
that drew me there about once a year.

Here's what I liked,
though regretfully,
none of those got taken upstairs.

(perhaps Eloise W. Martin didn't care for them)










1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

most collections formed lately -- post 1945 - dont really have anything interesting in them -- the good stuff had by then been all bought up
g

June 01, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<