Tuesday, October 13, 2015

James Hyde



James Hyde


Volume Gallery is a small space in one of the westside  gallery buildings that I frequent. It specializes in decorative objects - like the above - which looks a bit too cute and uncomfortable to me. (but then,,, you would never want  to see how we decorate ourl living space!)





James Hyde


I'm also not  thrilled by these home furnishings that seem to practice the  'uglification" trending in certain corners of the contemporary artworld.




James Hyde


But now, this Brooklyn artist has  got my attention - with this conglomeration of glass and paint that reminds me of a muddy, trashy riverbank -- but much more beautiful.










James Hyde



And then there's  this set of paintings executed over ink-jet printings of spacious Western landscapes.








His colorful markings are so perfect for the deep, dry canyons that recede behind them.

It's exactly how I feel when visiting such places -- with my gangly, temporary human nonsense silhouetted against the eternity of natural forces. 




















 








This work gives me too much delight to be called 'merely' decorative.

It makes me happy to be alive.







2 Comments:

Blogger Marly Youmans said...

Interesting way of looking at those landscapes!

I thought of you when reading this post by one of my editors--http://www.cassandrapages.com/the_cassandra_pages/2016/03/art-directions.html. Thought I might have found a sculptor you didn't know. Maybe.

March 08, 2016  
Blogger chris miller said...

Hi Marly! I saw Marin's monumental heads at the annual Chicago art fair in 2009: http://mountshang.blogspot.com/2009/05/artopolis-2009-art-chicago.html
.. but was less enthusiastic than your editor. I recommended them as decorations for a tropical garden

March 08, 2016  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<