Friday, October 17, 2008

My favorite sculptor




Timo Bortolotti (1884-1954)



As visitors to my website must know,

I've been looking pretty hard for
20th C. sculptors that I like,
and have already found over 1100 of them.

So it was really, really surprising to me
that despite all the books and websites
that I've visited over the past 5 years,
I'd never seen a single piece
by the above sculptor.

(which gives me so much encouragement
to keep on looking for more!)

What's unusual about him
is his sacred vision --
not just that he has one,
but that it's so strong.

It would be like discovering
another Fra Angelico making
paintings today.

(he's not alone in that regard,
Manzu and Crocetti come to mind,
but it's a very small,
select company)













and he's also dynamite
with portraits.


What a powerful visage!



and with children.
His putti
are straight
out of the Quattrocento.



which makes him especially good
at angels,
who must be light and gentle
but also strong


How I wish he had completed this monument
in Forest Park, Illinois.





What a fine,
and unique
(so far as I've seen)
vision of masculine strength


There's not too many sculptors
who focus on the male body



But of course it's important
for that most important image
in European mythology







again -- what a great portrait







and yet another.


There's actually a whole book full
of this guy's work,
with hundreds of pieces,
published about 10 years ago
by someone who clearly appreciated him
as much as I do.

(note: here's the page I made for him on my site)


7 Comments:

Blogger Bill said...

I feel a little ill. A little dizzy, disoriented. Is it OK to like things this much? This is a little like falling in love.

October 17, 2008  
Blogger Robert said...

I approve of the maquette for the monument, no wings!

He reminds me a little of Alfred Turner in his very simplistic style.

He also employs a surface texture which somehow accentuates softness.

Yes, I like him too.

October 18, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Book title? That second-to-last portrait...!

October 19, 2008  
Blogger chris miller said...

Author Panzetta, Alfonso.
Title Timo Bortolotti : scultore (1884-1954) / Alfonso Panzetta ; introduzione di Claudia Gian Ferrari ; apparati e bibliografia a cura di Marcello Bossini.

(and after you get the book, Amanda, please translate the introductory essays for me!)

BTW -- I'll be adding a bunch more scans of his work to my website

October 19, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is the charming baby in swaddling clothes also a religious work?

I’m with Amanda—the penultimate girl is lovely. Somehow a thought of Anne Frank popped into my head as I looked at her. The expression is something like that of the boy next to the baby, but this one has whatever it means when we say a sculptured face has feeling.

The Annunciation hand gestures are interesting—Mary’s hands up but more as in both surprise and a kind of yielding, and the angel with one hand raised, as in shielding himself or her or both.

The Christ looks so worn—I suppose that’s what 33 might have looked like, roundabout the year 33, but perhaps it’s simply the weight of world.

October 21, 2008  
Blogger Robert said...

I thought you meant Amanda was lovely Marley, well she is of course!

Could it actually be a young man? Perhaps the lips are a bit too full but the hair line looks a long way back, just might be receeding?

A rugged softness of texture, well executed!

October 23, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robert,

Lovely, whichever it is! And yes, Amanda is...

October 23, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<