Friday, March 07, 2008

Another Escape Scene



While at the online collection of the
Speed Museum ,

looking at their version of
"Nydia, The Blind Flower Girl of Pompeii",

I came across this,
more recent relic of narrative sculpture,
"A Caballito" by Juan Munoz (1953-2001)


Just to be perfectly clear,

I hate most of this man's work as well,
and remember suffering through his
installation/invasion
of dozens of life-size white plaster zombies
in the great stairwell
at the Art Institute about 10 years ago.

But ...
but...

I actually like this piece
(especially this view)

and I find this a compelling,
enjoyable
figure sculpture,
with qualities like uplift, balance, scale, rhythm.

And while nobody has any idea
what story he's trying to tell,
I like it, whatever it is.

Comparable to the great Italians of the
last Century, like Manzu and Martini,
and maybe even to this famous piece on a similar theme
(which also has all the detail and carving wizardry
of the Nydia)





A less felicitous,
but not a disastrous view



and some close-ups of
some quickly made,
but not weakly made heads.


I think this guy could have been a great sculptor,
if he had lived longer,
and gotten out of
the contemporary art world.



2 Comments:

Blogger Robert said...

I am intrigued Chris. Looks like terra cotta or raku ? Is it bronze? I don’t desperately like it, not something I would buy if I could afford it but I will agree it is worth a second look. It is aesthetic interesting. Rather strange subject matter; I must have missed something; I think it rather top heavy (unlike your example by Bernini and the Giambologna's Sabine women. It has to do with the stance he has chosen. I fine the clothing a little bit like paper bags. I like your description of the zombies in the stairwell, perhaps Marley could write a ghost story about them!

March 13, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe if you visit the juan Moñoz retrospective (now in "Reina Sofia" in Madrid, and before at Tate Modern, Guggenheim-Bilbao and Serralves-Oporto) you change your mind about his work.

Give a look at this "album" about it:
http://www.elmundo.es/albumes/2009/04/21/exposicion_juan_munoz_reina_sofia/index.html

April 24, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<