Sunday, March 02, 2008

Art Books of the 20th Century


Jacques Villon (Gaston Duchamps) 1937


The glass cases in the Ryerson Libary
were featuring the 20th Century this month,
so the subject of the books
was the art itself,
made by the great brand names of the period.

Gaston is my favorite of the Duchamps brothers,
what a perfect little window he's put
behind the figure.






Andre Masson, 1926


I guess if I had to have a Surrealist drawing,
this one might do.






Raoul Dufy
1920


But I'd rather have
pictures of a happy world,
where people are enjoying themselves




Marc Chagall, 1946

I like this simple, intimate line drawing
better than the Chagall monuments
we have here in Chicago.

(and what a nice couple!)




Juan Miro, 1930





Joan Miro, 1948


and the same thing with Miro,
I really prefer this graphic work
to the fork-lady
in Daly Plaza.


(note: this image includes
reflections of the Ryerson skylights
off the glass display case)


Picasso


I don't think Picasso gave too much thought
to this project.

Would it have any special value if
his name weren't attached to it ?



Matisse, 1932


I'm more partial
to the graphic design
of these pages


Matisse, 1932


and I really like
this line drawing
(it must be Daphne running away from the Sun God)






Sam Francis, 1964


I can't say that I've ever enjoyed his
large paintings,

But at this smaller scale,
of a ceramic plate,
yes, I would like to see it
on a kitchen wall.



Roy Lichtenstein, 1964

Yes, if life is only worth a penny,
this design would be appropriate

(and once again,
the reflections of the ornate
Ryerson Library skylights
are impinging on this image,
but this time, it's an improvement)

2 Comments:

Blogger Robert said...

The Jacques Villon (Gaston Duchamps) 1937 drawing is my favourite here. You have been busy.

March 06, 2008  
Blogger NYE said...

Love Juan Miro....

March 12, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<