Saturday, May 12, 2007

A post without pictures

Circumstance required me to bike through the I.I.T. campus on this wonderful spring day, and I was shocked -- shocked by the dark, funereal beauty of the Mies Van Der Rohe buildings -- all stretched out in a line -- like the elements of a circuit board. (the place has a very high-tech vibe!)

Pictures can't do these buildings justice (which is why I'm not showing any)

Their proportions -- and relations to the surrounding space -- have to be felt on site -- and contrary to the impression that photographs had given me -- they aren't just glass-steel blocks that have been plunked on a lawn -- there's often a kind of chthonic interface -- so appropriate for the overall feeling of stately dirge.

And those damn glass boxes are dramatic ! Hung, as they are, from great, black steel lintels.

My eyes have suffered through so many cheap-ugly-minimalist office buildings -- I was all set to send Mies to Hell for setting the trend -- but now I am ready to issue a reprieve.

Less can be more -- even if it almost never is.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to go away.

Nice to come back and find Chris wheeling through the world, liking and disliking and flinging his opinions.

May 14, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<