Saturday, September 01, 2007

Changchun Figure Sculpture




Changchun may not be the world's most beautiful large city,
but it does seem to have a thing for sculpture
with an annual symposium and a
sculpture park

Mostly, I have problem with contemporary Chinese sculpture.

I think it's ugly -- bad ugly.

But not always - like with the above sports sculpture
(especially with those clouds swirling behind it)





Unfortunately, I can't read the
Chinese websites,
so I have no idea
how to identify any of these sculptors









They like things rough-strong-bold,
i.e.
yang-yang-yang






But this one really hits the spot
for me.

It would even work for me if
it were painted gray --
but I do enjoy the ghostly effect
of the colors.

(and I like to imagine that color
is running through and from
a person while painting)

Everything seems right with this piece...
the design of the table,
the proportions of the books,
and , of course, the overall
silhouette.

Possibly the name of the artist is
Hsu Yuan Feng

********************



Addendum:
I believe this is the piece
to which Robert Mileham refers
in the following comments.

I had the feeling that it belonged more
in an amusement park
than in a sculpture garden,
but it might be appropriate to a cemetery
as well.
(the Chinese love ghost stories)

4 Comments:

Blogger Robert said...

Perhaps there is some erotic tag here which I can understand but it reminds me of less pleasant experiences with paint; and liquids running down the leg- awful.

I would like to see the hooded figure (in what looks like stone) on the same website, from a different angle. It looks quite interesting so precariously poised.

September 02, 2007  
Blogger Robert said...

Thanks Chris, it looks as if it might fall over on top of anyone peering up at it from the front!

September 02, 2007  
Blogger chris miller said...

I finally got a Chinese friend to do some translation -- and it turns out that the piece you like was made by a Czech whose name sounds like "Pat Polaski"

The piece I like was indeed made by someone who calls himself "Hsu Yuan-Feng" -- but I can't find anything else by him on the internet.

September 02, 2007  
Blogger Marly Youmans said...

Curiosity does long to see the "front" of that sculpture that Robert mentioned! Anything so heavily robed has to compete with the Saint-Gaudens memorial to Clover Adams, I think.

September 15, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<