Friday, June 09, 2006

The Athenaeum

I just stumbled accross this intriguing website that sorts art works by year. So... for example ... if you'd like to know what was made 100 years ago today ,take a look here

Can you imagine how pathetic a compilation made for 2006 would appear by comparision?
(and that list for 1906 barely scratches the surface of what's available)

But the best part is..........

ANYONE CAN CONTRIBUTE PICTURES !!!


This is the first interactive web-museum I've ever seen !

Most web-museums are like mine (or Artrenewal.org) : i.e. some self-appointed art expert/aesthete showing the world what he likes -- but the Athenaeum accepts contributions from everyone -- so if it mangages to stay afloat -- over the next few years, it could develop an incredible -- non-canonical, non-academic, and eventually (I hope) non-Euro-centric view of the art history of the last few centuries.

I am so excited !

The only problem that I foresee is how to organize the items within each year to facilitate browsing when there are thousands -- or hundreds of thousands -- of items.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sir G said...

Chris

There are several excellent online museums (of western painting). I list them in links on my blogger side bar.

but this is fantastic!

June 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Athenaeum is, in my opinion, the greatest site in de Web for those who are interested in art but now – in de latest days – I can’t see so many images that I saw before. What have changed, please? Or it is a temporary occurrence? I wrote to you a mail, yesterday, without success and I have retry today. Sorry I’ve thought than, in the treatment – and I don’t know why - that you are of the masculine gender. Thanks for your work.

June 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<