Thursday, March 23, 2006

Eldon Danhausen



Just got a call from Anna Koh(one of his successful former students) that Eldon Danhausen had died. He taught figure sculpture for many years at the Art Institute -and it's been 30 years since I saw him, but I'll never forget his kindness. He let me into his class (as a non-paying student) back when I first came to Chicago years ago and could barely afford to live, much less hire my own models.

Regarding sculpture -- our tastes were very different -- but I still remember his admonition to clear the modeling stand of tools and clay before stepping back to look at a piece (since the wandering eye automatically measures all the things it sees against each other)


Above is a picture of his garden -- his pride and joy -- and so far, anyway, his claim to local fame. It was amazing how he made such a small space feel so spacious and beautiful.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Chris,

The North Dearborn Association is presenting a Lifetime Achievement Award honoring Eldon Danhausen at their Annual Meeting to be held on May 16, 2006 at 6:00 pm at the Bella Lounge, 1212 North State Parkway, Chicago. The North Dearborn Association is the sponsor of the annual Dearborn Garden Walk at which Eldon's garden was always one of the highlights. The North Dearborn Association is also planning to install one of his sculptures in the neighborhood. The annual meeting is $10 for non-members and free to members. A social hour starts at 6 pm with hors d'oeuvres and beverages. The meeting with presentation starts at 7 pm. It would be great to have some of Eldon's former students there from the School of the Art Institute.

April 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was blessed in knowing eldon. he gave me a job for I years while I was in graduate school. he was one of the kindess men i knew. He never allowed his ego to fracture his mentoring. i will always admire his support of my pursuit as an art therpaist.

Reverend kurt fondriest P.H.D

December 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have information about a very large instalation of Eldon Danhausen's that is in a bank on the South side of Chicago. The bank is being torn down and I asked them about the piece which if very large and they said they didn't know anything about the artist. I feel this piece should be preserved. Could you please help me to find someone that would be interested in this.
thanks
karen

February 24, 2009  
Blogger chris miller said...

Karen, perhaps you could take some pictures and then post them on the internet - here or somewhere else?

That would seem to be a first step.

February 25, 2009  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Chris,
My name is Daniel Pierre McClenaghan & I am an apppraiser here in Chicago. I have been asked by the bank to write appraisals of the two pieces that are in the bank. Any & all advice re value of Mr.Danhausen's work will be most welcome since they are, as far as I know, few pieces as large as the screen in the bank. I will also be happy to upload images of these works to this site if it is feasible.
regardsd,
DMcC

June 10, 2009  
Anonymous andy said...

POsting to those who know Eldon Danhausen and his work..I recently purchased a piece at auction and curious if anyone knows anything about it and when it might have come from....it's a large Bronze sold by Treadway gallery (just bought it).....any help would be appreciated....Andy

September 14, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<